My big idea-taking picture of our community retailers in their shops. I missed the mark here. But needless to say, I love love love shopping local. It is not only key to the community but key for reminding me why I settled here.
Top 10 Reasons To Shop Local First!
While there may be more selection available on-line and maybe even at a slightly lower price one should shop local because:
- Significantly More Money Re-circulates in Saranac Lake. When you shop at locally owned, independent businesses more money is kept in the community because local businesses often purchase from other local businesses, service providers and farms. Buying locally helps grow other businesses as well as our region’s tax base.
- Non Profits Receive Greater Support. Non-Profits such as youth sports, hospice, and Winter Carnival receive greater support from local business owners, sometimes as much as 350% more money, than they do from non-locally owned businesses.
- Unique Businesses Are An Integral Part Of Our Distinctive Character. The unique character of Saranac Lake is what brought us here and will keep us here. Our tourism businesses also benefit, because our place doesn’t look like everyplace. According to Richard Moe, President, National Historic Preservation Trust, “When people go on vacation they generally seek out destinations that offer them the sense of being someplace, not just anyplace.”
- Environmental Impact Is Reduced.Local businesses make more local purchases requiring less transportation and usually set up shop in town centers rather than on the fringe. This generally means contributing less to sprawl, congestion, habitat loss, resource depletion and pollution.
- Most New Jobs Are Provided By Local Businesses. Small local businesses are the largest employersnationally.
- Customer Service Is Often Better.Local businesses often hire people with more specific product expertise and they invest in their employees for better customer service.
- Local Business Owners Invest In Our Community.Local businesses are owned by people who: Live in this community; are less likely to leave; and are more invested in the community’s future.
- Put Your Taxes To Good Use.Local businesses in city and town centers require comparatively little infrastructure investments, add more to our tax base and make more efficient use of public services.
- A growing body of economic research shows that in an increasingly homogenized world entrepreneurs and skilled workers are more likely to invest and settle in communities that preserve their one-of-a-kind businesses and distinctive character.
- It is the right thing to do. Not only will you get to talk with local community members about their lives and items, you can be assured that your items will arrive on time as you are taking them home with you. In fact, you will rest assured that your purchase has made a positive impact in more lives than just the person the gift is for. Thank you to our vendor’s who supported the SLTA shop local
Adirondack Artist Guild
Adirondack Trading Company
Blue Line Sports
Sturdy Supply to 5:30
Piece By Piece Studio
Moose Maple Books
Newman and Holmes
Origin Coffee Shop
Post Office Pharmacy
SL Discount Liquor
St. Regis Canoe Outfitters
The Community Store
Twin Crystal Rock Shop